the Internationale is Paul Caplan, former Digital Charabanc, journalist and imager and now Course Leader BA (Hons) Advertising at London college of Communication, University of the Arts, London... and digital flaneur.
Object-oriented media and everyday remix. Picking up on my practice-research PhD, exploring how mobile networked devices such as phones and tablets enable a form of remix whereby users, organisations, companies and the state connect streams of information, data and stories, offering new ways of imag(in)ing and managing.
Object-oriented practice-research. Developing an approach to academic and practical study and teaching of media, advertising and communication based on a philosophy of objects together with a commitment to answering research questions through practice and using research to inform practice. This methodology formed the basis of my PhD and has been the starting point for my teaching and curriculum development since.
These research projects form the basis of a book I am writing for Punctum: Mobile imag(in)ing: object-oriented practice-research (outline in PDF here):
my everyday remix StreamTweets by @Internationale
my paid work
I am Course Leader BA (Hons) Advertising at London college of Communication, University of the Arts, London. This year I am teaching the final year courses on Content Creation, Digital Portfolio and of course... dissertation.
my previous work
other projects (digital flanerie)
Object-oriented 'photography' (OOPh)
Practice-research experiments in imag(in)ing. Approaching images, imaging technologies, imagers and imaged subjects as... objects.
- JPEG: the quadruple object: My PhD used object-oriented philosophy as a practice-research method to explore the JPEG standard as an object. I took a series of digital pinhole photographs and remade them with, through and against JPEG as eBooks and mashups:
- Thing of the day: Just objects. Imag(in)ed
Object-oriented 'poetry' (OOp)
Practice-research experiments in writing. Approaching language, writing technologies, writers and writing subjects as... objects.
- Uncreative mobilities: Remixing the objects that stream through my mobile devices.
- Ekaw Snagennif: Writing James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake backwards 140 characters at a time. Read the text plaited with other Tweets and posts.
- A(d)gorithm Elves: Writing the Facebook ad texts back into the Wall to confuse the Facebook advertising algorithm elves and tell uncreative ad stories.
- Object of the day: Just objects. Written on Twitter
- The app-object economy: We’re all remix artists now in First Monday Volume 20 No. 5. May 2015.
- We're all remix artists now: everyday remix, apps and objects Paper and Active App-Book (best viewed on Mobile) delivered at Apps and Affect conference, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada. October 2013. The paper followed a practice-research workshop on 'building a Web App in an hour' (best viewed on Mobile). Reworked as full article available here.
- What Is a JPEG? The Invisible Object You See Every Day in The Atlantic (September 24th 2013).
- Software Tunnels Through the Rags 'n Refuse: Object Oriented Software Studies and Platform Politics in Culture Machine 14 (2013) PDF.
- Through a Prism darkly. What does software see?. Paper delivered at Conditions of Mediation London 17 June 2013. PDF here.
- Digital Common Space: Remixability co-authored with Jussi Parikka in Hemment, D; Thompson, B; de Vicente, J and Cooper, R (2013) Digital Public Spaces. Future Everything. Available as PDF here.
- London 2012: Distributed Imag(in)ings and Exploiting Protocol in PLATFORM: Journal of Media and Communication 2(2) (September): 6-21 PDF).
- Practising Theory. Paper delievered at ASCA International Workshop, Amsterdam, March 2011. (PDF version 8MB. Sorry it's got imag(in)ings embedded!)
- Software Tunnels Through the Rags 'n Refuse. Paper delivered at Platform Politics, Cambridge 12-13 May 2011. PDF and video here.
- Towards an Object-Oriented Photography. Paper given at the Perceptions of Practice conference, Nottingham Trent University 11.07.11
- Video 'paper' Object-Oriented Photography in O-Zone and on YouTube:
- On Twitter: @internationale
- Via email: praxis [at] theinternationale.com
- On Skype: internationale