the Internationale is Paul Caplan, former Digital Charabanc, journalist and imager and now Senior Teaching Fellow at Winchester School of Art (#WSA).
My work is about uncreative objects - the words and imag(in)ings that circulate and connect in the databases and that are mined as the 'digital detritus' of techno-capitalism and 'dialectical images' on our mobile remixological apparatuses. Following object-oriented ontology, I approach the words, code, protocols and apparatuses as 'objects' with sensual and real dimensions. Following new materialism, I understand those objects as material, vital and present.
I work with uncreative objects - language and images, language as image and image as language that techno-capitalism mines for value and the user values as social content. The objects I 'make' are not creative although they add to the rags 'n refuse that others value.
I work on Facebook and Twitter, the walled gardens, proprietorial, closed object-spaces where the objects I un-create with circulate. But my platforms are not 'virtual' or 'online', they are material, real, concrete. I 'write' on the Wall and through the Stream. I imag(in)e in Albums. I perform on server farms, display across cables.
my paid work
I run the MA in Communication Design and co-run the MA in Global Media Management at Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton, UK.
My courses are designed to get the next generation of designers and public communicators to critically explore the potential of network design and communication objects and relations.
Object-oriented photography (OOPh)
Imaging experiments with JPEG. My PhD.
My thesis used object-oriented philosophy as a practice-research method to explore the JPEG standard as an object. I took a series of digital pinhole photographs and remade them with, through and against JPEG as eBooks and mashups:
Remixing the objects that stream through my mobile devices.
Writing James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake backwards 140 characters at a time. Read the text plaited with other Tweets and posts.
Writing the Facebook ad texts back into the Wall to confuse the Facebook advertising algorithm elves and tell uncreative ad stories.
- Through a Prism darkly. What does software see?. Paper delivered at Conditions of Mediation London 17 June 2013. PDF here.
- Digital Common Space: Remixability co-authored with Jussi Parikka in Hemment, D; Thompson, B; de Vicente, J and Cooper, R (2013) Digital Public Spaces. Future Everything. Available as PDF here.
- London 2012: Distributed Imag(in)ings and Exploiting Protocol in PLATFORM: Journal of Media and Communication 2(2) (September): 6-21 (HTML version; PDF version) [© Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia licence]
- Practising Theory. Paper delievered at ASCA International Workshop, Amsterdam, March 2011. (PDF version 8MB. Sorry it's got imag(in)ings embedded!)
- Software Tunnels Through the Rags 'n Refuse. Paper delivered at Platform Politics, Cambridge 12-13 May 2011. PDF and video here.
- Towards an Object-Oriented Photography. Paper given at the Perceptions of Practice conference, Nottingham Trent University 11.07.11
- Video 'paper' Object-Oriented Photography in O-Zone and on YouTube here.